Eligibility and nominations
The RSTMH Student Essay Prize is for students studying global health as a degree or any degree with a component of global health. It is open to current, full-time, students, that can be based anywhere in the world.
Evidence of student status must be provided at the point of submission. The prize is awarded annually, with submissions usually opening around October and closing around December. We accept submissions through an online platform. Submissions for 2020 are now open until 27 November 2020.
- Essays should be between 1,500 and 2,000 words, excluding references, footnotes, and tables.
- A 150–200-word summary should also be submitted together with the essay.
- All sources must be appropriately acknowledged in Harvard style only. References do not count as part of the word count.
- The essay must be in English.
- Please try and organise the essay into a logical succession of headed sections, where possible.
- The essay should be entirely your own original work and should not have been previously published.
- Please note that if the summary is omitted; the essay will not be considered.
- Only one essay per person can be submitted.
The prize for the winning essay is £200, student membership for a year and the opportunity to have their essay published in one of RSTMH’s scientific journals and on our website.
We will also invite the winner to be presented with a certificate and their prize at an RSTMH event.