The Afya Bora Fellowship will provide trainees with a set of practical skills that will prepare them for leadership positions in government, non-government, and academic health institutions in developing countries. Stipends up to $20,000, as well as health insurance, travel costs to the international field site, and tuition support for 2 – 3 online courses.
The 9-month training program has two components:
- Distance learning modules
- A mentored, project-based assignment to an attachment site at academic, local government, or non-governmental health organizations in partner African countries
In order to be eligible to apply all applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of Botswana, Cameroon, Kenya, Tanzania, or Uganda
- Meet ONE of the following education requirements:
- Medical applicants need to have a M.D. or MBChB with a MMed or Master’s degree in related field.
- Nursing applicants need to have a Master’s degree in nursing, public health or a related field (PhD preferred), or substantial work experience.
- Other public health professionals (those without a clinical degree) must have a Doctoral degree in public health or a related field.
- Applications open: August 2020
- Applications due: October 9, 2020
- Interviews: October – November, 2020
- Select applicants will be contacted for an interview
- Notification of acceptance: December 2020
- Accepted and waitlisted applicants will be notified
- Fellowship begins: January 4, 2021
For more information, visit www.afyaboraconsortium.org